Sunday, June 23, 2013

No, Sunderday hasn't gone away just yet...

I know, I know. That’s two weeks I’ve missed now but I just got overwhelmed with work last week. I worked 3 different jobs and ended up working 13 days straight and an additional 22 hours on my days off on top of my regular 44hr week’s work! So when I came home I was a bit beat and just wanted to sleep. All for a good cause though as I’m visiting the USA in a month’s time (and hoping to catch up with fellow Rambler Paris, unfortunately the only one of my US friends who lives close to where I’m going to be while I’m there) and so that extra pay is going to come in handy for some spending money. Enough with the excuses though, you don’t want to hear that, you want new content!

So this week we’re coming back to the Shield Gems. This little one isn’t amazing, but it can be quite useful in a tight situation and can easily be the difference between winning and losing a fight. Whatever keeps you around longer can always be bad news for your opponent. So I give to you, the Shielder.


Shield Gems
Shield Gems are small jewels that can be attached to a shield by a skilled Armorsmith (DC 15 Craft check). If a check is failed by more than 5 there is a 50% chance the Shield Gem is ruined.
Most appear to be regular gems at first glance, but upon closer inspection, they usually have something that sets them apart (such as a faint glow, sigils etched into their surface, etc).
Some Shield Gems can be activated without attaching them to a shield, and in this case it will be stated in their entry.

Shielder
Aura Faint Abjuration; CL 3rd
Slot –; Price 1,600gp; Weight
DESCRIPTION
This small hemispherical piece of azurite radiates a magical aura but appears to do nothing. That is until it is attached to a shield. Once they are joined, they become a potent protective combination.
As an immediate action, the bearer of the shield can speak a command world. From the edges of the shield, a shimmering blue band of force springs into existence. This field lasts until the end of the round and grants a +1 deflection bonus to the wielder.
This ability may be used up to three times per day.
CONSTRUCTION
Requirements Craft Wondrous Item, shield of faith; Cost 800gp