Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Bugs, Profs, and Monsters

Conversations with the chair of the psychology department reminded me of how much he loves the word "interesting," which reminded me of Bugs Bunny's assessment of Rudolph/Gossamer the monster:


Hair-Raising Hare (1946)


Water, Water Every Hare (1952)

The lesson to be learned from Bugs is old but bears repeating: for the rabbits among us, brains provide the means for dealing with monsters, not brawn.  Now if my friend and colleague can only tell me why we, like Bugs, find monsters to be the most interesting people.  Shadow, Dr. Jung?

3 comments:

  1. I find Bugs the most 'interesting' of the pair as he is the perfect example of one of the archtypes in our collective minds, the Trickster.

    The force of chaos, the one who laughs at danger, or the bringer of senseless violence, the trickster pops up in many cultures. Bugs is a relatively benign iteration, but there have been darker examples, like Batman's The Joker.

    You never really know what you will get with the Trickster.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Trickster! The most mercurial (see what I did there!?) of archtypes. Bugs is one of my favorite examples.

    I was thinking about Baba Yaga the other day, and wondered if in the portrayals where she is so two-sided if she doesn't cross over into a Trickster figure. I might be too influenced by Miyazaki's portrayal of her at the moment, though. There's probably another archetype of the twin: Janus, Two-Face, Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde, your soap opera's secret evil twin, Good Kirk/Bad Kirk, Spock w/ and w/o goatee. All archetypes of the Ego and Shadow, I believe Carl would say.

    Great first comment! Thanks, CCMonkey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All of "Water, Water, Every Hare" is available here: http://www.220.ro/desene-animate/Bugs-Bunny-Water-Water-Every-Hare/Necteal9Ca/...for now.

    ReplyDelete