Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Much Better than Ground Steak Covered in Gravy



As Tomeful Tuesday draws to a close, I have to accept that my review of the latest Pathfinder Tales novel is not going to be finished.  So, I will trot out an oldy but goody to recommend to anyone who has yet to read it.  Salisbury is one of my favorite medieval cathedrals that I've never been to (yet).  Sarum is my favorite book about (among other things) one of my favorite cathedrals that I've never been to -- by one of my favorite historical novelists.  Rutherford, like Michener and Frank Herbert, covers large periods of time and helps develop the historical imagination.  Great historical color and detail, and a great learning tool for people who want to think about how to run extended or inter-related plots or campaigns across time.

3 comments:

  1. I haven't really read any Historical Novels as such, but I know that one of my favourite authors Stephen Lawhead has written a few and I'd like to check them out one day.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_R._Lawhead

    His novel Empyrion is one of my top 3 favourite books (which is weird because I generally prefer Fantasy Novels and Sci-Fi Movies and shy away from Fantasy Movies and Sci-Fi Novels). His writing has a semi-religious tone to it (I originally picked up my first copy of Empyrion in a Church Bookstore), that I think you might like. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Flash. I've been curious about his Byzantium and planned on giving it a look.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a side note on Lawhead. I have only read 2 of his books and count him as a favourite because I loved Empyrion so much and really liked The Dream Thief as well. Going by my previous statement about my Novel/Movie likes It is once more strange that the two of his books that I have read are both of his Scie-Fi ones.
    And for the record, Dream Thief has a deeper religious underlying angle than Empyrion does as well.

    ReplyDelete