Thursday, April 26, 2012

J is for PSEUDODRAGON


Just checking to see if everybody is awake!  The W  entry will be coming later, but I wanted to share that I am enjoying finally getting around to read what Steven Brust is famous for, instead of what I appreciated him for.  In any event, after giving in to all the recommendations of this series and having finished the first two, I've come to like it more than I thought I would.  But I think there are more little hints that this started as a D&D game than just that a supporting character is a Jhereg.  Which is, by the way, a better name for a little dragon than pseudodragon, which has always bugged me as an adult.  Any other Brust recommendations out there?  I hear a rumor that he's going to be getting some attention in exalted realms soon...more to come when I can talk about it.

6 comments:

  1. Yay! Pseudodragons! I happen to like the name (although I did rename them as common/familiar/house drakes in Book of Drakes).

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Jhereg series is one I've always thought woefully overlooked for gaming, considering it came out of an RPG. On the other hand, I'm not sure how you balance the elements of the setting. I know there used to be an Amber Diceless adaptation floating around for it, but I was never able to track it down.

    Brokedown Palace is awesome, and I love To Reign in Hell nearly as much. Freedom and Necessity which he co-wrote with Emma Bull IIRC, is ok but not my favorite. After reading the Jhereg material, The Phoenix Guards and Five Hundred Years After are well worth reading- one of the best homages to Dumas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Khaavren Romances: The Phoenix Guards
    Five Hundred Years After
    as well as;
    The Viscount of Adrilankha, published in three volumes:
    The Paths of the Dead
    The Lord of Castle Black
    Sethra Lavode

    And a novel I think you would like, To Reign in Hell.


    PS: seems he wrote a Firefly fan fic, My Own Kind of Freedom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mike: Calling them common or house or familiar drakes is better than Jhereg and metric tons better than pseudodragon. I expect nothing less from *2012's RPG SuperStar*. Sorry Blogger boinked your other comment, but no, it didn't surprise me that pseudodragons got your attention. When my first AD&D character changed careers midstream and became an illusionist (guess when UA came out?), I had to show for a DM to give me a pseudodragon. Who wouldn't want one?! If you and I had access to planar magic, I think we'd both have a town-home in Korvosa. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the further Brust recommendations, guys!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brust changes his viewpoints, focal points, and the placement in chronological order so often from novel to novel... I'd say just keep exploring. You are sure to get one heaven of a ride. :)

    ReplyDelete