Tuesday, January 3, 2012

What is this ADD of which you speak?


Sometimes, my reading gets... let's say, diversified.  I was reading the anthology, The Dark Side, and I hit a couple of stories I'd already read, and I skipped forward, and I found myself wanting to read something different.  I was hauling through A Canticle for Leibowitz, and I just wasn't loving the third (and I assume final) section of the book like I had the first two.  The next thing you know, I'm faced with several books that I am reading in tandem, or several partially finished books that are in the second stack, waiting for me to finish whatever has infatuated my appetite at the moment.

This -- did we say, broad scope? -- also affects my blogging, and in particular, my Tomeful Tuesday feature.  Now I warned you, dear readers, that you could depend on Mythopoeic Monday (hey, I only missed twice in eleven months!), but Tomeful Tuesday would be occasional.  Then it got pretty regular, but went on holiday somewhere late in the Fall semester.  I'm going to try to get it more regular (but again, I'm not committing to every Tuesday) in upcoming weeks.  I imagine the next two weeks or so will see me finishing my read-through of Gygax's Role-Playing Mastery.  Then, I will comment on fiction or non-fiction according to no particular plan, unless something arrests me as strongly as good ol' Gary's book did.  Holmes for the Holidays, you ask?  My recent observations seemed, well, very small, not really worth a post by themselves, and pretty scattered to bring them together in one.  So, we'll see if there is a final installment in that series before January 7 or not (Sorry, Fr. Jack, I'm having a hard enough time trying to keep people in the holiday spirit through 12th Night and Epiphany.  No way am I going to try to take 'em to Candlemas.)

So, a word of explanation for regular readers, a heads up for new readers, and in parting some more holiday wishes: if you are still on holiday, I hope you spend some of your remaining time with a good book (or stack!), but to all of you I wish a Happy New Year of reading and to Prof. Tolkien a very happy birthday!