Sunday, July 22, 2012

Batman: The Dark Knight Rises

Review: The Dark Knight Rises


It's difficult to know what to say about the tragic loss of life in Colorado at this film's opening, other than my prayers are with the victims and their families.  It's not difficult to know what to say about the film itself: it lives up to the hype.

While there will not be much surprise for the attentive viewer who knows the Batman stories well, The Dark Knight Rises is very well done, and continues the trend of excellence in films based on comic books.  I enjoyed the final installment to The Dark Knight series even more than the much-lauded Heath Ledger/Joker one, and at this point would put it in my top ten of comic book movies of all time.

Great action, satisfying wrap-up of characters arcs.  While the effects are not as impressive as the Avengers, I think it is more successful in terms of plot. (I can't believe I didn't get an Avengers review up!  Well, I was out-of-town.)  Great casting and acting in the other parts along with directing and writing continue to save the less than stellar Bale Batman.

Have we entered the Golden Age of Comic Book Cinema?  Are we getting spoiled or lucky?  Sure seems like great days for geeks.  Long may we rule the market!
GRADE: A
Not to be missed