Sunday, May 19, 2013

Sunderday isn't dead yet!


Hello everyone and welcome back to the long overdue post I promised you. Last weekend just got way too out of hand for me. Game Night, followed by my mother’s Birthday Party, followed by Mother’s Day meant that I was exhausted and just didn’t get my work completed in time for a Sunday entry. I had planned to get it to you a little late, but then to top it off I went and got sick. So anyway, enough with the excuses and on to something nice and new for you to try out.

As I said in my last entry, this item hearkens back to my first serious foray into game design, the 2009 RPG Superstar. I unfortunately didn’t make it to the dizzying height that my fellow blogger Mike did, but it made me realize that maybe (after my first few poorly executed  toe dips) I could actually make something worthwhile after all. In that contest, my entry was something I called the Dazzler. It was a small gem that could be attached to a shield and let you utilize a cantrip at will through your shield. I obviously can’t use that same item here (although I can link to it http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2j21t?Dazzler#1 ) so I thought about what other lower level spells could be used in a similar fashion. Over the next few weeks, instead of giving you a new shield, I’ll instead be giving you some new Shield Gems to enhance your character's existing shields. First up we have a nice passive Shield Gem that I’m sure will be of use to just about everybody who uses a shield. Enjoy!


Shield Gems
Shield Gems are small jewels that can be attached to a shield by a skilled Armorsmith (DC 15 Craft check). If a check is failed by more than 5 there is a 50% chance the Shield Gem is ruined.
Most appear to be regular gems at first glance, but upon closer inspection, they usually have something that sets them apart (such as a faint glow, sigils etched into their surface, etc).
Some Shield Gems can be activated without attaching them to a shield, and in this case it will be stated in their entry.

Mender
Aura Faint Transmutation; CL 3rd
Slot –; Price 3,000gp; Weight
DESCRIPTION
At first glance this gem appears to be nothing more than a common lump of hematite. Upon handling the gem however, the bearer notices that it is slightly warm to the touch.
Anyone holding a Mender can touch it to an item and use it to cast mending at will. This takes time however and the bearer must hold the Mender against the item to be fixed for 10 minutes for it to work.
When attached to a shield however, this mending process is expedited. The round after the shield it is attached to is damaged, the Mender automatically repairs 1d4 points of damage. It continues to do this every round until either the shield is fully repaired or it gains the broken condition. The round after the shield gains the broken condition, the Mender removes the condition and leaves the shield on half its original hit points. It will then continue to be repaired as normal each round after that.
In order for a Mender to be able to repair a magical shield, the caster level of the person making the Mender must be double that of the effective bonus of the shield to be repaired. The basic Mender can repair both normal and +1 shields. A +2 shield needs a caster level of 4th to work, 6th for +3, 8th for +4, etc, all the way up to 20th level for the ability to repair a +10 shield. Prices for these are as follows: +2 = 4,000gp, +3 = 6,000gp, +4 = 8,000gp, +5 = 10,000gp, +6 = 12,000gp, +7 = 14,000gp, +8 = 16,000gp, +9 = 18,000gp, +10 = 20,000gp.
CONSTRUCTION
Requirements Craft Wondrous Item, mending; Cost 1,500gp